With so many great donations coming in, the ReStores really need volunteers! Volunteers in the ReStore handle a variety of duties, including customer service, furniture restoration, appliance & equipment repair, donation pick-up (drivers), and donation inventory & pricing. Volunteers need to be 16 and older and the experience can be great for seniors and their friends.
Volunteers are always welcome! If you are unable to sign up online, please stop by during business hours Monday through Saturday and ask for Mary. Prior to arrival, please print out and complete your liability waiver, then bring it to in store with you for your first visit and orientation. Orientations for new volunteers occur Thursdays at 5pm and Saturdays at 9am and they are required before you can begin. Please contact Mary at email@example.com or 757-913-5664 with any additional questions regarding volunteer opportunities or scheduling.
Williamsburg ReStore volunteers must complete an orientation prior to volunteering at the store. The Williamsburg ReStore has orientation every Tuesday at 10am Prior to arrival, please print out and complete your liability waiver, then bring it to the store during your orientation. Please contact Marcia at firstname.lastname@example.org or Diane at email@example.com with any additional questions regarding volunteer opportunities, orientation, or scheduling.
What can volunteers do at the ReStore?
Furniture Restoration Specialist:
Calling all DIY lovers! As our Furniture Restoration Specialist, your creations will be featured in our store for purchase and display. We need individuals skilled in furniture restoration to add to our store’s collection. Tools, materials, and workspace will be provided; however, we encourage bringing tools from home to add your own personal touch. On-site training for this once a week opportunity needed.
As a cashier, you are the first face ReStore customers see. We are looking for cheery individuals to brighten the day of our patrons. Register experience is not required. On-site training for this minimum once a week opportunity needed.
Sales Floor Volunteer:
We need you to keep our store running smoothly! As a sales floor volunteer, you will work closely with our staff and volunteers to manage the sales floor. Take pride in your local ReStore by ensuring that our aisles stay clear, clean, and organized!
Donations Dock Volunteer:
With so many great donations coming in everyday, we need volunteers to assist staff in unloading trucks, pricing donations, and placing them on the sales floor. No experience necessary! On-site training for this minimum once a week opportunity needed.
What should I wear?
- Please wear comfortable and casual clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty. Jeans, athletic shorts or pants, etc. are acceptable. Shorts must be appropriate and at least reach mid-thigh. Volunteers will be turned away if shorts are of an inappropriate length.
- Please wear close-toed and close-heeled tennis shoes or boots. Volunteer will be turned away if shoes do not meet the above guidelines.
- Come prepared for the weather! Many tasks require volunteers to be in the elements so arrive with the appropriate jacket, raincoat, or sweatshirt.
What should I NOT wear?
- Loose, hanging jewelry
- Overly baggy clothing
- Articles of clothing with offensive slogans/language/images
- Clothing that interferes with your ability to work such as clothing that you are afraid of getting dirty
- Clothing that is revealing such as sheer shirts or low-rise pants/shorts
- No high heels, Crocs, sandals, flip-flops, or flats
What should I bring on the first day?
- A lunch (volunteers under the age of 18 must remain on the ReStore premises during their shift). A refrigerator is available to hold drinks, snacks or lunches.
- A photo ID (driver’s license, passport, or school ID)
What will happen on my first visit at the ReStore?
- On your first visit, inform the cashier that you are a first-time volunteer.
- The volunteer coordinator or acting store manager will take you on a tour throughout the store explaining what the ReStore does, safety procedures, and store policies.
- Store employees will guide you in the tasks for the day.