ReStore Volunteer Frequently Asked Questions
What should I wear?
- Please wear comfortable and casual clothes that you don't mind getting dirty. Jeans, athletic shorts or pants, etc. are acceptable. Shorts must be appropriate and at least reach mid-thigh. Volunteers will be turned away if shorts are of an inappropriate length.
- Please wear close-toed and close-heeled tennis shoes or boots. Volunteer will be turned away if shoes do not meet the above guidelines.
- Come prepared for the weather! Many tasks require volunteers to be in the elements so arrive with the appropriate jacket, raincoat, or sweatshirt.
What should I NOT wear?
- Loose, hanging jewelry
- Overly baggy clothing
- Articles of clothing with offensive slogans/language/images
- Clothing that interferes with your ability to work such as clothing that you are afraid of getting dirty
- Clothing that is revealing such as sheer shirts or low-rise pants/shorts
- No high heels, Crocs, sandals, flip-flops, or flats
What should I bring on the first day?
- A lunch (volunteers under the age of 18 must remain on the ReStore premises during their shift). A refrigerator is available to hold drinks, snacks or lunches.
- A photo ID (driver's license, passport, or school ID)
What will happen on my first visit at the ReStore?
- On your first visit, inform the cashier that you are a first-time volunteer.
- The volunteer coordinator or acting store manager will take you on a tour throughout the store explaining what the ReStore does, safety procedures, and store policies.
- Store employees will guide you in the tasks for the day.
FEDERAL TAX ID: 52-1431619
Habitat for Humanity Peninsula & Greater Williamsburg
11011 Warwick Blvd, P.O. Box 1443
Newport News, VA 23601
Habitat for Humanity builds affordable homes that strengthen families and communities in the cities of Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson and Williamsburg, plus the counties of Charles City, James City, New Kent and York, Virginia.
371 Chatham Drive | Newport News, VA 23602
1303 Jamestown Road | Williamsburg, VA 23185
For Voice Relay Service (TTY/TTD/TT), dial 7-1-1, then call us at 757-913-5647.